Monday, July 22, 2013

SKINNING RABBITS & ROTTEN MILK!!!

This has been one of the most interesting weeks that I have ever had in my mission! This week really was fun, interesting and scary at the whole time ha! So this last Tuesday we had a mini-cambio in our house with a Mexican, with Elder Lourenco, Elder Diaz and I. It was about 3:30 am Wednesday morning when we all jumped out of bed when we heard somebody pounding on our front door! My first thought was that one of those crazy packs of girls found our house! So to figure out what was going on Elder Diaz and Cardona went downstairs to check it out, Elder Cardona came up and yelled it’s the cops! I was like awwhhh man they are going to give us a hard time about being foreigners in their country! Then this cop started asking us if we felt or heard anything suspicious a little bit before, we said no! We sleep upstairs in like the middle of a house with a Colombian and gringos who are both great snorers. There is no way we heard anything. Then he continued and asked us if we had a propane tank outside! We all answered yes and then I was curious and went to go look, yeah there was nothing! Somebody had stolen our propane tank! The even scarier part is the door he was next to does not shut tampoco lock; it is shut with a string tied to a nail pounded in the wall! So needless to say I was not too mad-all he took was our propane tank. Then another cop came into our house lugging our propane tank!? I was like-oh that was nice they went and bought us a new one! Nope the guy squeezed through our gate and started walking down the road with our tank. A taxi driver saw him, pushed our landlord’s door bell and the guy then went to town square carrying the tank! What a genius… where the cops were parked and so they saw him and snatched him up. The cops knew what road he came from and started touching doors asking everybody if they had a propane tank missing. Well we were the last! Ha and they kind of knew it was us because he was knocking on our door for about 5-10 minutes when we finally answered it! Needless to say we lost about an hour and a half of sleep that night!

It is not so fun when its -20 degrees Celsius -2 Fahrenheit! I’m dying- I have been so sick, well all of us have been. This morning we had ice on the insides of our windows! Don’t worry I got some pictures! If you could send me some wool socks that are water proof I probably would be crying of gratitude!

Next story-so we have been doing a lot of service, chopping wood for people. One day we went to our lunch appointment and I saw this guy out front of the member’s home and Hermana Sonia said “I hope you all like rabbit fresh from this morning!” I was like no way! Ha I asked for another knife right away to start helping with the skinning! I felt like I was at home! I never imagined I would get to skin something and eat it on my mission! Coolest lunch appointment ever! All we ate was rabbit, a couple chickens and beats! I hated beets before my mission but they really are growing on me now! I was just missing the orange soda to soak the rabbit in! (haha- David and Devon) I just wish that the next time I get to go with him to shoot the rabbits! But well I’m probably not gonna!

Next is probably the grossest thing I have consumed here in Chile- that is really one of my all time favorite things in the world gone way wrong!!!! We got to Hermana Miguelinas house and well she was drinking mate so she came out of the house with a rag over her face so that she doesn’t become deformed! Just a big superstition! They can’t leave the house and breathe the air before they finish their mate. So we waited to go to our lesson that she was going to accompany us to. While Victor our Elders Quorum leader and I were on splits waiting for her she said she was going to give us some milk. I was like alright! Then she pulls this lid off the pot on the stove! Arrgghh- yeah warm milk alright! I can dig it, but then she went to pour it and the top didn’t move! It had a giant skin on the top of it it! DOUBLE YUCK!!! Victor got the first glass that she filtered the skin off mostly! Then mine came up and well she is kind of old and shaky a little and well the entire skin plopped right in my drink! So I just started trying to throw it into my mouth in the back of my throat without it touching my tongue. Ha-the skin was like a rotten apple peel with tape on the other side! She left the room and I just dropped it all down my throat at once then as my eyes were watering I looked at Victor and he was gagging to get his down too! How wrong can it get… heated, cooled, reheated, cooled and reheated milk YUCK!!!! Now I know why Grammy always puts ice in her milk to get it even colder!

Wow mom you hit it right on the head talking about the missionary that gives his will to the Lord! "Our will heart and mind are the only gift that we could ever give the Lord! Because every other thing He owns but our will" I have been working on this a lot! Just to give up and quit fighting against the will of the Lord! "Let Me make of you all that you can be." Jesus said this!

I love this gospel. I know that if we give our will to the Lord, He will make us into the best that we can be!
I love you all and am grateful for all the help that you always give me! Love you all forever and always.

Love,
Elder Dillon Denzlo Hancock

The cops let us take a picture with them.
The ones that woke us up in the middle of the night to see
if our propane tank was stolen!!!
Elder Lourenco being crazy!
Always have to have pictures of FOOD-Glorious food!!!
This was the ice on the INSIDE of our windows! YUCK!

Me and Ismeal
Margareta Coucha made empinadas!
DELICIOUS!
Making Sushi with Fernanda

Elder Diaz liked it...
But I just DID NOT like the sea weed stuff you wrap them in
One of the happiest days ever...skinning rabbits for our lunch appointment!
I asked for a knife and started helping ;)
It almost felt like being home?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment